Sunday, June 3, 2012

Idaho Thunder Mountain Motocross Series Round #2, OMC 6, 7, 8 April, 2012.

The Project Filter Motocross Team was in full force this weekend at Owyhee Motocross Club for Round #2 of the Thunder Mountain Motocross Series. What a Great Weekend of racing! I have always been impressed at how Motocross is a family sport and it really showed this weekend. This wasn’t my first Easter weekend spent at a Motocross track but I will say that it was the best one I’ve had. We had the entire Team together which includes Me, Matt, Danielle, Zach and Cole Siebler. The camaraderie of the Team coupled with, family and our extended motocross families made for a great weekend. Angie, the Thunder Mountain Series Manager planned a couple fun activities to celebrate the holiday, which included an Easter egg hunt, Motocross Style. Each rider had a helmeted passenger and the object was to make your way around the motocross track and pick up as many hidden Easter eggs as possible. Matt and Zach represented Project Filter in the competition. There was also a closest to the pin golfing contest. Each participant hit two balls off of the starting line to see who could come closest to the tire which was 100 yards out. Matt was the leader for most of the competition but eventually got edged out by Nate Taylor and another contestant. My two shots reminded me why I ride motorcycles instead of playing golf, they weren’t good. Thank You Angie for making it a fun day! I’m not sure if it was the Easter Spirit that was in the air or just the fact we finally had some great weather but the competition and the racing was awesome too. Saturday, I won my first moto, finished second in my second moto and was battling for a win in the third when I had a little bad luck. I landed off a jump and heard this huge crack, my bike locked up and nearly sent me over the bars. A sprocket bolt had backed out during the moto and got caught up in the swingarm. It locked up the rear wheel, ripped my sprocket off and broke the hub. Not Good! I am thankful that it didn’t lock up while I was in the air. So, needless to say, I didn’t finish the moto and when I got back to the pits I discovered that the swing arm was cracked as well. Luckily I had an extra hub and rim ready to roll and a friend at the track volunteered to weld my swingarm, so by Sunday morning I was back in business and ready to do battle again. Sunday was another great day of racing. I ended up winning both motos in the Over 40 Class and finished second in both motos of the Over 30. As the day winded down on Sunday I sat back and reflected a bit on the weekend. I thought about all of the great things that happened over the three days spent at the race track. Number one, families were together sharing the experience. In motocross we all spend many weekends at the track and it seems like we all sort of become an extended family too. When my bike broke, I had several people around making sure I was ok and encouraging me to get it fixed so that I could continue to moto. Sunday afternoon my wife Ann brought all of the kids up to share an Easter lunch with me and the rest of the PF crew. We got to talk with a lot of people who came by to turn in a Motocross/Tobacco Prevention trivia sheet that we had available. The sheet accomplished exactly what it was meant to do, it got people engaged in thinking and talking about tobacco prevention, the ill effects of tobacco and the help that is available by using Project Filter. It was an event filled awesome day! Round three is in Kimberly over Memorial Weekend. I can’t wait and I hope to see ya all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment