Tuesday, March 20, 2012

2012 Idaho State Thunder Mountain Motocross Series, Rnd #1, Rupert, ID (16, 17, 18 March, 2012)




We kicked the Idaho State Thunder Mountain Series season off this past weekend in Rupert, ID. All I have to say is, “You gotta Love Idaho weather!”

The Project Filter Motocross Team arrived in Rupert on Friday the 16th for the practice, test and tune day. We found out that the weather in Rupert had been fairly mild; the track was in excellent condition and it made for a great day of riding for the nearly 350 riders in attendance for the weekend. The first race of the season is always fun because it gives us a chance to get back together as a race team and the interest in Project Filter is always at an all time high. People are curious to hear what we’re all about and it gives us a chance to get out and talk about tobacco prevention with racers and race fans.

As we were loading up at the end of the day Friday the black clouds were rolling in, little did we know at the time this would change the entire weekend. It started raining Friday evening; it rained, snowed and the wind blew off and on until we left late Sunday afternoon. This was the wettest, muddiest race I have ever ridden in. We all tried to make the best of it by keeping positive attitudes as we huddled in the enclosed trailer, hovered over the heater, to keep warm.

For me it was one of those situations where honestly I didn’t want to ride, I was cold, wet, muddy and very uncomfortable slip sliding around on my 450 that weighed 20 pounds more from the caked mud. But what happened is, it made me dig deep down and even though it was difficult, I rode every moto, I stuck it out and completed what I went to Rupert to do. Honestly at the end of the weekend I felt good about making it and I was proud of my team mates for doing the same. I thought about it all in relation to kicking the tobacco habit. It’s difficult, it’s uncomfortable at times but the payoff at the end is worth the fight. Plain and simple, you’ll feel good about your accomplishment and you’ll feel better physically. It’s a win, win situation. Project Filter… “You Tell Us When and We’ll Show You How”.

On a lighter note, my co-workers did say that my skin looks better from the mud bath that I was in all weekend. Lol….

Well that puts round #1 in the record books. I am looking forward to round #2 which is being held at Owyhee Motorcycle Club (OMC) right here in Boise, over Easter weekend. Thank you all for your support for Project Filter and I hope to see ya at the next round.

No comments:

Post a Comment