Sunday, May 2, 2010

Idaho State Championship Motocross Series, Rnd #3, 1 May 2010







Matt. Big Air!



Danielle.




Once again the Mighty Fighting Smokefree83/Project Filter Race Team was on scene for another eventful weekend of racing, this time at Pleasant Valley Raceway in Boise. As you all know the weather situation has been challenging lately. It’s like “Mother Nature” is teasing us by jumping back and forth between 80 and 40 degree days. We had a little bit of everything at this race; a little wind, a little rain and even a little sunshine with a definite chill in the air.

Danielle and I attended the Friday practice session, which generally gives us a chance to turn some laps, test and tune, and get the track dialed in before the first gate drop on Saturday. The wind was blowing so hard on Friday that we had had to roll all of the jumps. Anytime our wheels were in the air, the wind would try and sweep them out from under us. “Scary”. You know that my policy is to always try and keep my Project Filter Yamaha, “Rubber Side Down” so I slowed up and didn’t push my luck. It was frustrating, so we packed up early and hoped for better conditions on Saturday.
Saturday wasn’t as windy but we got some rain and it was a little chilly all day. All in all it was pretty decent; the cloud cover helps to hold the moisture in the ground so the track was in good condition all day.

Again, the rider turn-out was less than expected. Because of the sparse attendance the promoter opted to run a three moto format on Saturday and cancel Sunday’s events. So, we rode three motos on Saturday, all finishes were combined for an overall score and double points were awarded to cover Sundays canceled event.

I rode six motos to cover the two classes that I am riding this year. Two of my greatest rivals were in attendance so I had my work cut out for me. I ended up finishing 2, 1, 1 in the Over 30 to take the overall win and 3, 2, 2 in the over 40 which put me second overall. For me, it was a great day of racing, the conditions were challenging, my competition was good and I was happy with my performance.

Thank You Project Filter for the support and for allowing us the opportunity to be a part of the fight for a Tobacco Free Idaho. Project Filter is becoming a familiar, respected name throughout our Motocross Racing Community. The program is outstanding and your involvement is appreciated!
The next race is in Salmon, Idaho. I am looking forward to this one. If you remember last year Matt was not only Smoke Free, he was hands Free over the 100 foot table top jump! The track motto at Salmon is”Go Big or Go Home”, so stay tuned, it should be a good one…

No comments:

Post a Comment