Sunday, May 8, 2011

Western Idaho Motocross Series Rnd #1, 7 May, 2011



I shot out to Pleasant Valley this Saturday night and rode the first round of their Western Idaho Motocross Series (WIMS). It was an awesome evening all the way around. I think everyone was a little worried about the rain that was in the forecast but Mother Nature treated us right with a good rain Friday night and nothing on Saturday. The track was in excellent condition! Everyone seemed to enjoy the recent changes to the track and it was prepped perfectly.

This was my first time on the new track and I’ll have to admit I was a little intimidated in practice. I knew had had to adapt quickly if I was going to be competitive for the evening motos. I felt good coming out of practice and thought if I could get some decent starts and find a good grove that I would be okay.
There were a lot of riders so they combined a couple of classes to make it all work and get us through the evening in a reasonable time. I personally like the combined classes because it makes it fun to get out there and mix it up with a lot of different riders and riders of different skill levels. We had over twenty riders on the gate for each of my four motos.

It was definitely an event filled night, I was involved in a couple good battles and I got caught in a first turn crash in my second Over 40 Moto. It probably sounds crazy but sometimes I think a good honest crash, as long as you don’t get hurt, causes you to refocus and I know for me it gets the adrenaline pumping. It makes you ride harder because you have to. I quickly picked up my bike, restarted, readjusted, took a quick look to see where my competition was and I was off and running. These are short five lap motos so I knew I had to work quickly if I was going to redeem myself. I caught up to the pack, worked my way through traffic and was able to take the moto win. I ended up winning both the Over 30 and the Over 40 Classes on this night.

It was a perfect night up until the last two motos of the evening. As the second to the last moto took off the lightning struck, the clouds opened up and we were pounded with rain. Only the last two motos had to be cut short.

All in all it was a success. Thank You to the Pleasant Valley crew for putting on a great race and also for recognizing the presence of Project Filter at the event. I’ll see ya at the next round…

No comments:

Post a Comment